Vitamin B12 - Questions & Answers
Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy nervous system, forming red blood cells, and keeping the body's metabolism in good working order. It's an essential nutrient that can only be obtained through consuming food or supplements, and it's essential for human health.
Popular questions about Vitamin B12
Are Vitamin B12 patches any good?
Vitamin B12 patches may be beneficial for those who are deficient in B12, however, it is important to speak to your doctor to make sure the patches are safe and effective for your individual needs.
Can I take the COVID vaccine if I have Vitamin B12 deficiency?
Yes, it is safe to take the COVID vaccine if you have Vitamin B12 deficiency. However, it is important to speak to your doctor beforehand to discuss your individual risks.
How long does it take to develop a Vitamin B12 deficiency?
It can take several years to develop a Vitamin B12 deficiency, because the body stores a large amount of the vitamin in the liver. However, those with conditions that cause malabsorption can develop a deficiency more quickly.
How long does it take to lower Vitamin B12 levels?
It can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to lower Vitamin B12 levels. This time frame can vary depending on the individual's liver and kidney health and the severity of the deficiency.
How long does vitamin B12 stay in the body?
Vitamin B12 typically stays in the body for 3-4 months before being excreted.
How long is Vitamin B12 good for after being drawn up?
Vitamin B12 is typically good for up to 6 months after it has been drawn up.
How much are Vitamin B12 tablets?
Vitamin B12 tablets can range from around $0.25 to $1.50 per tablet depending on the brand and potency.
How much does a Vitamin B12 shot cost in South Africa?
The cost of a Vitamin B12 shot in South Africa can vary depending on the clinic or hospital, however it is typically around R160.
How much does a Vitamin B12 supplement cost?
The cost of a Vitamin B12 supplement can vary depending on the brand and form of the supplement. Generally, a good quality Vitamin B12 supplement can cost anywhere from $5 to $20.
How much is a bottle of Vitamin B12?
The cost of a bottle of Vitamin B12 depends on the form and dosage of the supplement, but it typically ranges from $5 to $30.
Key facts about Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B12 is naturally occurring only in animal products, such as meat, fish, and dairy. Vegetarians and vegans often require supplements to meet their daily needs.
- A lack of Vitamin B12 can cause anemia, fatigue, and nerve damage.
- People with certain medical conditions, such as Crohn's disease and celiac disease, are more prone to B12 deficiency due to malabsorption.
- Vitamin B12 can be absorbed by the body in two different ways, passive diffusion, and active transport. Passive diffusion occurs in the stomach, and active transport happens in the ileum.
- Vitamin B12 helps to protect the brain from aging and cognitive decline.
- Some studies suggest that Vitamin B12 supplements may aid in the prevention of depression and other mental illnesses.
- B12 is also important for pregnant women as it aids in healthy fetal development.
- The recommended daily intake of Vitamin B12 for adults is 2.4 micrograms per day, but this can vary depending on age, lifestyle, and medical history.